Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wormy Wednesday - An Experiment

I haven't explained what exactly happened that made me ask Frabill for help and starting over. 4th of July we had company and I didn't want them thinking I was weird for having my worm farm on the kitchen counter and I didn't want my niece to get curious and get into it (even though I knew she probably wouldn't). I didn't think it would hurt to put my worm farm box out in the garage for a couple hours. I had been having trouble keeping the temperature down (sorry I didn't tell you) so it was a really bad plan. The worms got way too hot.
So far I've noticed using less bedding has helped a lot but I still do daily (sometimes 2-5 times a day) temperature checks.  It's been a week and so far so good. The temperature has been on the high side so I started thinking about ways to help. I have resorted to setting the worm box in front of the ac vent. Then, this afternoon when I was thinking about what today's post would be about I thought about ice! In this photo I used to pieces of ice, but that was because 1 piece looked weird in the photo. I'm going to start with 1 piece of ice.

As the ice melts, it will moisten the bedding with cool watter and will also help with the temperature. I'm starting with 1 cube because I don't want there to be too much water and end up drowning the worms. Fingers crossed!!!!
Check back next week for the results of this experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment